Monday, January 24, 2011

A New Semester

Written January 9th, 2011

     So I've been extremely bad at updating my blog, and I am completely aware of it. I'm hoping that I'll become an avid blogger this semester, about even the smallest encounters, cultural differences, learning experiences and adventures.

     I just returned from spending three weeks in California with family and friends. This is the second time I have gone home from Spain during the holidays, and although I really would like to experience Christmas, Three Kings, and New Years the Spanish way, nothing beats going home with all your own traditions and being surrounded by the ones who know and love you the most. I actually had two Spaniards offer to have me spend those holidays with them and their families, which was a very nice gesture. If I didn't have the opportunity to go home, I definitely would have taken them up on their invitation!
     Now it's back to the grind. Although officially I only work 16 hours a week at the school, I feel like I spend far more hours there. After work, I have three separate tutoring classes, and this semester my coordinator told me that they want me to start tutoring my colleagues to improve their English...something like 20 teachers! Talk about intimidating! Haha. But I think it's a compliment and shows that I've already started to build a relationship with my coworkers. It makes me happy that I can help them improve their English [as they help me improve my Spanish!] After all that, I have another certificate class that begins, so I will be back to studying a lot, making lesson plans, trying to improve my Spanish, and see as much of Spain and Europe as I can before I leave. I can't complain though, because I thoroughly enjoy being busy...especially since it was probably harder to leave home this time. I'm no stranger to homesickness, and although I haven't gotten homesick yet, it's still very possible it could happen. And the best way to avoid it? STAYING BUSY!
     Anyway, here's to shorter yet more blog entries until the end of June. ¡Qué disfrutéis! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment