Tuesday, September 21, 2010

...And reality hits.

I finally decided it was time to begin a blog. I am embarking on [another] huge journey, and this time I want to record all my feelings and experiences before they slowly vanish as the years go on.

I studied abroad in Madrid for the 2008-2009 school year, which has been the biggest life-changing experience I have had so far in my young adult life. While in Madrid, I experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, and learned so much about myself in the process. At the end of that year, I realized how many career opportunities I had in front of me, which made it hard to fathom what I really wanted to do. Upon my return to the states, I dealt with a lot of emotions, and had a real tough time adjusting to being back in what had became another foreign country to me. Returning to San Francisco to finish my senior year of college, I decided I needed to master the Spanish language in order to become a translator/interpreter--a career I thought would bring me the most joy. The opportunity to work in Spain as a Cultural Ambassador through the Spanish government became apparent, and I just had to jump on it. I was to be a college graduate with an actual job lined up with medical insurance, which has become a rarity nowadays.

Then summer arrived. I was to have almost 4 full months to enjoy being home before I was to move 6,000 miles away again. I dealt with a lot of emotions; I had one of the best summers of my life, which obviously was going to make it hard to leave. There were times I wanted to stay home and start concrete things there. I was tired of always moving, and nothing ever being long-term because of it. Then I had to realize that I had my whole life in front of me, and have plenty of time to start things at home--once I returned from all my adventures. I also had to remember why I was going back to Spain in the first place. The reality is that at this time in my life, I need tons of stimulation and adventure, and I am definitely not ready to just stay in one place and fall into some mundane routine. So here's to some amazing times and unforgettable experiences! Spain round 2, I am definitely prepared for you!

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks jennifer! i am too! cant wait to update everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the "Journey" Ashley.

    Treasure each and every moment, good & bad, as this is what will shape the foundation of your future. With it, you'll be able to better understand life's difficult decisions which you will continentally need to make. And through it all, you will become that much wiser...

    Be safe and make the right choice's, as you and only you are responsible for your actions !!

    Love & will miss you,

    Dad ~

    ReplyDelete